template-data/logo
Search:
The Peace Gardens
Click for full size
Description
This award-winning public square at the centre of the Heart of the City developments are adjacent to the Winter Garden and within easy reach of the Millennium Galleries. Set against the backdrop of the Victorian Town Hall and with spectacular fountains, water features and lawns, the Peace Gardens have created an oasis for visitors. As well a great place from which to enjoy Sheffield City Centre, the Peace Gardens are home to a number of historical markers and celebrations of Sheffield's great achievements. Take time to look at: The Standard Measures - an early example of consumer protection; the Goodwin Fountain - a celebration of one of Sheffield's benefactors; the Holberry Cascades - dedicated to the leader of the Sheffield Chartist Movement; the Spanish Civil War Memorial - a tribute to those who gave their lives; the Bochum Bell - a special gift from our twin City. The Peace Gardens are open daily. Short History The Peace Gardens were originally the churchyard of St Paul's, a baroque style domed church built to accommodate the growing population of 18th Century Sheffield,which had outgrown the Parish Church (mow the Anglican Cathedral). It was built at the expense of Robert Downs, a wealthy local goldsmith. Work began in 1720 but Downs later fell out with the church authorities and for a time allowed Dissenters to worship there until it was finally consecrated in 1740. By 1938 the Church of England had no further use for the building. It was demolished to make way for a proposed extension to the Town Hall - unfortunately never built becuase of the advent of the Second World War. All that remained were the churchyard walls, within which the Council laid out a temporary garden. This was named St Pauls Gardens but soon became known as the Peace Gardens, reflecting the popular desire for a return to peacetime.
­
Copyright © Look In Sheffield 2017 - Web design by 7Soft.co.uk